RE: how do i make a website?

From: mark janke (sftvboy@yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Apr 07 2001 - 01:53:48 EDT

If you wanna make a website the first thing you must
do is avoid Front Page Express at all costs. It's a
pile of crap program that corrupts code and the front
page "extensions" are accepted practically nowhere but
on MSN.com. The second thing you must do is avoid
geocities pagebuilder program. That is also a joke.
You will waste more time asking people how to fix a
problem it generated and you'll just have to wind up
learning HTML anyway.

I HIGHLY recommend learning HTML. It's incredibly
easy. You don't have to learn it all at once. Only
learn as much as you need to accomplish the building
of your website. You can learn enough in just 1 hour
of your time to build a quality site. You don't need
any of those wysiwyg programs (if you have to buy any
program then Dreamweaver is the way to go). If you
are using a windows based operating system you can use
the program "notepad" which comes with it to make your
HTML pages. If you have a non windows based operating
system then use any text editing program that can save
in the ASCII format only. Here is the HTML
Goodies.com link

http://www.htmlgoodies.com/primers/basics.html

Read all 7 tutorials and give it a shot. If you need
HTML help I highly recommend coming to the Geocities
help chat room. There are lots of experts there, some
very patient who will guide you through all your
problems. If your isp provides you free space to
build your site, use them. Don't use Geocities, they
have had nothing but problems since Yahoo bought them
back in June of 99. Web page building is very easy
for the most part.

Here are some sites I've built to show you what I'm
talking about:

http://mark-world.com/dakota my truck site
http://eyeonthemedia.com a business site I made
http://mouseslist.com a search engine site I made