Re: Suzuki GSXs vs. Katanas

From: Chuong Nguyen (dester223@hotmail.com)
Date: Sat Apr 07 2001 - 08:53:47 EDT

The katana is considered to some the "poor man's sportbike." I have one and
I think it's a pretty good beginner bike. The GSXR is a little quicker and
can turn better, but an all around ride, the katana is pretty impressive for
a beginner's bike. I own a 92 and I don't know if there has been
improvements to the bike since the 97 body style change, but my bike can go
around 140.

The price on the katana is also great.. some say with a good bargain, you
gan get one for 5500 bucks brand spanking new out the factory. BUT... I
wouldn't go out and get a new bike. Look in the papers and autotrader.com
for used bikes. It's your first bike and you'll have room for error like
dropping it or dinging it up. Having a "Beater" before you get a bigger and
faster bike isn't a bad idea. I'd rather drop my 92 katana than my friend's
2000 GSXR 750.

One more thing you should look into between the two bikes listed is how
comfortable the seating is to you. The katana will be more relaxed..
-Chuong