RE: Steering wheel audio controls

From: Kenneth Eng (keng@novadigm.com)
Date: Mon Apr 09 2001 - 11:37:13 EDT

Jared,

I added remote radio control capability to my stock radio for under $10. I
can now change the preset stations on my radio by just pressing the buttons
I have located on my center console. All I needed for this project was just
a couple of momentary on-off switches, a piece of computer ribbon cable, an
a small piece of circuit board. I installed the switches in a row on the
circuit board and soldered 2 wires from the ribbon cable to 2 pins on each
of the switches. I then soldered the matching 2 wires on the other end of
the ribbon cable to the back of the circuit board for the radio's push
button. You can add as many buttons as you want but you will just need to
find the 2 pins on the radio's circuit board that correspond to the button
on the face plate. Not as fancy as the remote buttons on the steering wheel
but now I no longer have to have my arm stretched out to change the radio
station.

Ken