Re: How do I figure out which differential I have?

From: Jon Smith (jon@fast4x4.net)
Date: Mon Apr 09 2001 - 15:30:57 EDT

You can check the build sheet (under hood on a '93) which should list the
axle options... or you can jack up the rear and check it. There *should*
be a tag on the diff cover that'll tell you the ratio. If not, make a mark
on the driveshaft and one on the tire. Turn the tire (counting the tire
revolutions) until the driveshaft makes 1 full rotation. As far as the
posi, you can do the spin 1 tire thing, but that doesn't always work...

I've always hung 1 tire off the road and floored it, you'll QUICKLY know if
you have posi or open... although this method is kinda rough on the posi
clutches :)