Re: How do I figure out which differential I have?

From: A. S. (adakota4x4@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Apr 09 2001 - 19:38:50 EDT

Here's one way. I think this will work, but you might wait for other
suggestions. Anyway, jack up the rear. Mark a line on the driveshaft with
something you can see. Mark a line on one wheel with something you can see.
  Put the truck in neutral. (oh, make sure the truck is stable so you don't
have a bad day). Turn the rear wheels. My understanding is that if you
have 3.55's the driveshaft should turn 3.55 (or 3-1/2) times for every one
spin of the wheel. 3.92's would spin 3.92 times (or almost 4) for every one
spin of the wheel. I've never actually tried this myself, but I think this
should work.
--Aaron--
95 DSRC 4x4 V6
www.geocities.com/adakota4x4_95/