Fluid Leak?

From: Jared Kaplan (blizzard@gis.net)
Date: Mon Apr 09 2001 - 17:21:33 EDT

Hey Everyone!

Well it was the first 60+ (in fact 70+) day of the season with a temp of 72
this pm. This time yesterday it was 38 and this time tomorrow we're back to
upper 40s so I figured I'd take this opportunity to do a little under the
truck inspection. When I looked, everything looked fine with the exception
of some sort of a thin, oily, oderless (or so it seems) fluid along two
"seams" of the tranny. I'm not sure of all the names of the different part
of the Tranny so i'll try to explain as best I can. From where the tranny
meets where you drain the oil, it's wide and then it gets narrow as it gets
closer to the drive shaft. At the widest part (the far end near the engine)
there is a metal plate closing off the tranny from top to bottom (adjacent
to where the oil is drained from). Between this plate and the rest of the
trany it seems damp. In fact one of the bolts has a little liquid around
it. Then along a very fine "seam" in the center on the wide part of the
tranny there is a little bit more fluid (this is again along the center of
the wide part with the "seam" going from the engine to driveshaft side (but
not all the way down). It's not a crack. My question is, could there be
just a little fluid leaking from these places, or is it more likely just a
little oil from the last oil change mixed with water from the ground. I
haven't noticed any wet spots under the truck after parking it overnight.

Also, the tranny felt quite warm (hot after touching it for about 5
seconds) after the truck was off for a good hour. Is this normal?

Thanks for any help,
Jared
1994 Dakota Sport V6, 3.9L K&N, Mobil 1.