RE: Need towing/driving tips...

From: Davidson, Kevin (ked@iti-oh.com)
Date: Tue Apr 10 2001 - 11:46:33 EDT

I've found that it is a big help if you adjust your mirrors so that
you can see the trailer tires, or at least the sides of the trailer,
if possible. When I tow my boat, I like being able to see the trailer
tires when going around sharp corners and whatnot - that enables me
to see everything in the trailer's path (curbs, sewer openings, signposts,
other cars, people, etc).

When you're doing any highway driving and you pass someone putting along
in the slow lane, don't forget to leave room for the trailer before you
change lanes in front of them!!! This sounds dumb, but it's easy to
forget the trailer is back there.

I know that you're not supposed to tow with an auto in OD, but I don't
know for sure about towing in OD (5th) with our 5-speeds either. I'd
be tempted to stay in 4th if you're comfortable with the higher RPMs.
If I remember correctly, 4th gear in a manual is where the input shaft
and output shaft are directly coupled together, as opposed to having
the power transferred through gearsets in all the other gears. I don't
do any long-distance towing (50 miles tops one-way for me), but I
rarely drive in 5th while towing, although most of my towing is on two
lane state highways where I don't go over 60 anyways.