Re: Gen 2 360 swap

From: Will Coughlin (willcoughlin@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Apr 11 2001 - 00:34:56 EDT

I'll give you what I know about this, but you might want to talk to Mark
Kuzia about it for more info. The easiest way I know to do this is to find
an engine from a B-van, Ram, or Dakota to swap in. If you're going to build
an engine, I'd try to find a shortblock from a Dakota/Durango(98+ R/T, 2000+
QC, or 98+ Durango) becuase the block will already be drilled for the Dakota
motor mounts.If you go that route, you will want to use the top end from an
earlier Magnum 360 to get the EGR system.If you want a complete engine, I'd
look for one from a 93-95 Ram. That way, it'll be OBD-I and you still have
the option for the MP SBEC. You will need to get the SBEC and injectors from
the donor truck. You can use your current 318 engine harness, use the
injectors that come with the 360 or you can just get some for it, and the
SBEC from the donor truck will run in place of your current one. You didn't
mention if you were running an auto or manual. If you are running an auto, I
think you will have to change the flexplate or have the converter
blanced(maybe both, I don't remember). You might want to upgrade to a built
46RH/A518 transmission if you are currently running a 44RH. If you are
running the NV-3500, you will need a flywheel balanced to your 360. I think
that if you get the donor motor from a van, you may have to drill and tap
the block for the Dakota motor mounts. I'm not sure about that with the ram
blocks. HTH,

Will Coughlin willcoughlin@hotmail.com
'00 reg.cab,2wd,4.7L/NV-3500HD5-spd/3.92sg(9.25")
http://www.geocities.com/willcoughlin/index.html

----Original Message Follows----
From: KenneallyIII@Gateway.net

Has anyone out there swapped a 360 into a gen 2 Dakota? I know everything
physically bolts in, but I would like to keep my '93 4x4's stock SFI. I've
heard conflicting stories from people in the past about whether or not the
318 computer can successfully run a 360 (with larger injectors,of course).
Anybody?