Re: cleaning the throttle body

From: Grady Ogburn (jgo@uswest.net)
Date: Thu Apr 12 2001 - 18:22:15 EDT

Arnold-

Some additional info about cleaning the "idle motor" (IAC, AIC, whatever
people wanna call it today):

There are three gizmos attached to the TB: MAP sensor (on the front), TPS
(opposite the throttle linkage), and IAC (on the rear). To clean the IAC,
remove it from the TB. It has a plunger with a roughly cone-shaped metal
(brass, maybe?) tip, and that tip is what needs to be cleaned. Everyone
who's ever given advice about cleaning this thing has emphasized that you
DON'T want to twist it or plunge it at all. Just use carb cleaner and a
soft rag, and very gently remove the carbon from it. I think there are a
coupla people here who haven't been careful enough and have ruined it as a
result. If memory serves, it costs about $100 to replace, so you don't want
to break it...

Grady Ogburn
'98 Sport CC 4x4 5.2l, 5 Speed, 3.55 LSD
Mesa Headers & Cat, K&N GenII, F&B Billet TB
JET PCM, MSD 6A, Magnecor 8.5, Autolite 3923s
Gibson/MagnaFlow 3" Exhaust
Leer Topper