Replacing a door handle

From: Gensch, Travis (Travis.Gensch@qtiworld.com)
Date: Tue Apr 17 2001 - 10:53:25 EDT

I was broken into last night, thankfully nothing was stolen and the steering
column is fine. I figure they were looking to move my Pioneer stereo, but I
had the faceplate with me. They probably searched under the seat for the
face, but after not finding it they must have left. Thankfully, I am
religious about taking the face off and keeping it with me.

Now, where would the best place be to get a outside door handle for a 95
Dak? I would prefer ordering a new handle over finding a used one at a junk
yard. How hard is it to remove and replace the handle? How much time would
you think it would take? It would not only be the handle, but the plastic
cupped in area also. I am going to get an estimate from the insurance and
they will cut me a check. The money does not need to be used to repair the
vehicle. So, I would like to fix this myself and keep a little money for
truck mods.

They did not break any glass, the door still opens, latches closed and
locks. Most of the damage should be hidden by the new handle, since they
used a bar to pry the lock open by wedging the bar between the plastic
handle area and the sheet metal of the door. Most of the door damage
shouldbe covered by the new handle and a small amount of touch up paint. Do
any of you guys know what I should get a for an estimate price?

Thanks,
Travis