fender rubbing, ATTN: R/T wheel users

From: Pinkley (gpinkley@earthlink.net)
Date: Mon Apr 23 2001 - 23:02:08 EDT

Will, are you running a R/T wheel combo or some othere R/T like offset
wheel? this wheel combo is pretty notorious for that problem.

The first thing to try is to get the truck aligned to the 'performance'
specs. This gives you about 3/4 degree negative camber (perfectly
streetable performance settings), i.e. it tips the top of the tire inboard.
For many R/T's, this gets you around the fender rubbing problem. The next
step is to carefully trim the fender flare off right in the area it is
rubbing, then take a large hammer or mallet and massage the fender's metal
lip upwards (pretty easy to do). This gives you the compression travel into
the bump stops. If we gave you bumpstops that would keep the fender from
bottoming, the truck would virtually sit on the bumpstops giving you a very
AWEFUL ride and scary handling (they would pretty much be bumpstops like the
factory ones you removed). The key to handling over rougher surfaces is
having a little travel, or compliance.

-Gary Pinkley
Hotchkis Performance