Re: 5 speed problem

From: Crit Bennett (crit@engineer.com)
Date: Mon Apr 23 2001 - 23:28:10 EDT

Well, you don't need a new tranny but it will require taking everything apart.
The synchros are sandwitched between the gears on each of the shafts. There's
the input shaft, output shaft, and countershaft, along with an idler shaft (for
reverse only). Each of these has gears 'stacked' along the length of them. By
sliding the shafts different directions and keeping others still, you allow
them to interact in different ratios. Each of the three main shafts has to
come out, the gears taken off, and the synchros replaced. Kinda like taking
apart and rebuilding a BLT. If you haven't been grinding your gears then they
should be fine and you'll just need to synchro rings.

Crit