Re:: Hurst and the NV 3500 - Crit? (long)

From: George S Willhite (gswillhite@ualr.edu)
Date: Tue Apr 24 2001 - 17:38:12 EDT

Crit, Andrew, fellow 5 speeders. I've actually done some experimenting
on this shifter noise long ago when I replaced the stock unit with
the Hurst stick. I also used rubber between the stick and the mount
coming out of the tranny like Hurst did. I found you can reduce alot of
noise by finding a way to isolate the ball (shift knob) at the top of the
stick with rubber, plastic etc. Requires an aftermarket universal shift
knob or modifying the Hurst knob itself.

GS -

From: Crit Bennett <crit@engineer.com>
Subject: Re: DML: Hurst and the NV 3500 - Crit? (long)

  All manuals will make some noise and it's typically caused by low fluid.
With the new shifter and its shorter throw, it's understandable that there's
less shock mounting and more resonance. My problem (dealer has the truck
now
in fact) has to do with bad bearings on the countershaft, I suspect. It
cavitates below 1000 revs and sings the rest of the time with the sole
exception of 4th gear which bypasses the countershaft. A little noise is
normal but I want to hear the engine. I doubt it'll be quiet enough that I
won't hear something down the road but it's pretty friggin loud right now.
Do
you have any pics of the install or scans of the instructions handy? I like
the look of the stock shifter but would like to tighten it up a bit - maybe
lower the fulcrum on it.
  Does anyone know someone at New Venture or have an e-mail address? My
dealer
tells me that he won't continue unless I let him flash the PCM and I'd
rather
talk to New Venture to see if this is a documented problem. I'm still
working
on the service manager with the whole 'there's no way this is
computer-related
and I want my 235 horses when I drive home' aspect of the problem but will
likely take it elsewhere.

Crit