Re: failing transmission

From: Will Coughlin (willcoughlin@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Apr 24 2001 - 23:52:46 EDT

Geoff, I'm pretty sure you have the A500/42RH 4-speed auto in your truck.
You could have it rebuilt, and "built" meaning a shift kit and the good
internal soft parts(Bands,clutches,etc.). If you are looking for some extra
strength(The A500's are not known for great strength, hence they were used
in the 6-cyl applications), you might consider getting an A518/46RH
transmission built for you(that's what I would do!). That transmission would
bolt to your bellhousing since it is the same as a 318/360. It would offer
you great strength behind your 3.9L. You could use a 5-speed if you would
like, but since you are into performance, I might suggest you stay
automatic. A manual transmission generally results in greater traction
problems while racing. They are more efficient at power transfer, but unless
you are really hung up on a manual, I would suggest you keep you truck auto.
If you've got anymore questions, please feel free to ask! HTH,

Will Coughlin willcoughlin@hotmail.com
'00 reg.cab,2wd,4.7L/NV-3500HD5-spd/3.92sg(9.25")
http://www.geocities.com/willcoughlin/index.html

----Original Message Follows----
From: "Geoff" <geoff_fahl_1@yahoo.com>

Hey everybody,
     I have a 95 Dakota with the 3.9L and sport package (whatever that gets
me.) I feel that my transmission is on it's last leg. When I hit the gas
the engine reves like all hell but the transmission says, "NO!" Sometimes
it won't go into drive so the engine will rev but the truck doesn't move
then it slams into gear and spins the tires. Other times I'll hit the gas
and it'll go right away. I've tried a bottle of TransMedic as recomended by
a friend and that helped alot but it's still not good enough.

How do I find out which automatic transmission I have, I've heard there's
two. Would it be better to have the tranny rebuilt or just put a new one
in. If I get a new one, I'd like to go with something that'll give me some
better acceleration. I've already done some performance work but I'd still
like to go farther. Would it be possible to put the 5 speed manual in
without modifying the engine in any way? If I go with another auto, what
kind should I get?

Any info is greatly appreciated.
Geoff