Re: Re: yanked an 18-wheeler

From: ABeerCan@aol.com
Date: Wed Apr 25 2001 - 13:35:05 EDT

In a message dated 4/25/01 11:55:05 AM Central Daylight Time,
jcbrandon@yahoo.com writes:

<< So a bigger engine, without
 a better driveline and much bigger tires, would not
 have added anything to the equation. >>

That is the reason we are talking about a full swap. Complete driveline
swap. Possibly modding a driveline from a Ram 3500 4x4 to fit under the
Dakota. So we would be adding alot to the equation.

<< The key to effective snatch recovery is available
traction and the weight of the pulling vehicle. In an
effective kinetic recovery, you transfer some of the
energy, the momentum, from the tug to the stuck
vehicle, via the stretch of the tow strap. So the
weight of the tug becomes very important. A light
vehicle doesn't snatch very well. My pickup weighs
nearly 5,000 pounds so that probably worked in my
favor.>>

I too understand kinetic energy and the transfer of it to stationary objects.
 By doing the complete driveline swap, we would probably add another 1200 lbs
to the Dakota by the time we were done. We were also discussing this swap as
an ultimate off-road Dakota, it doens't run the 1/4 very fast, but when all
four tires are on the ground, you have the torque available and the driveline
available to get the torque on the ground and get moving, regardless of your
predicament.
    As far as using tow straps, they are great for yanking a mobile object
out of a tough spot. Just don't try to pull tree stumps with them. Trust
me, I have launched a tree stump over the cab of my 79 F-150 and watched it
land about 10 ft in front of my truck. Talk about adrenaline rush! lol
    I do agree with you that you did very well with the situation at hand.
Had it been me, I would have anchored my 4x4 and used the winch that I have
on it along with my double and single snatch blocks. I have pulled a load 18
wheeler (gross weight 79,850 lbs) out of a muddy median where the cross flow
fuel lines were in the mud by doing this.

The other Will