Re: Heat shield

From: Hoegen (hoegen@kersur.net)
Date: Thu Apr 26 2001 - 09:10:56 EDT

Kirk,
    I have a homemade K&N setup which now has a heatshield (compliments of
K&N :-)).
What I can tell you is that in my case, without the shield, the filter was
exposed to alot of debris originating from the fan.
Here's my setup (without the shield). The shield was added after I noticed
the condition of the filter.

http://www.lightband.com/~hoegen/mods.html

By the way, homemade is the way to go...my setup cost me about $15 plus the
cost of the filter!

Later

--
Kevin
99 Solar Yellow Magnum S/T

""Mr.Flipchip"" <kirk@flipchip.net> wrote in message news:9c83cd$k9k$1@bent.twistedbits.net... > I know I have been thinking on this too much as evidenced here. > http://www.flipchip.net/dodge/airfilter_conundrum.htm > However, recent posts about the heat shield-cold air setup had me wondering > if there is a gimmick factor. > Q: How much radiant heat will affect the filter end of these cold air setups > while driving that makes a heatshield necessary? Little to none I would > think. Or do these shields also keep the wind out of all sides but forward? > I am going to the dealer tomorrow to plunk down $50.00 to get myself an air > hat off a newer truck than mine so I can create my own cold air setup > because I don't want the stock 92 filter anymore and I don't want the FIPK > either since the inevitable heat drag could become a problem. > > Maybe the wife is right, I'm whacked in the head! > -- > Kirk > > >