Re: Cast your votes: Gibson vs. Flowmaster

From: George S Willhite (gswillhite@ualr.edu)
Date: Thu Apr 26 2001 - 13:22:42 EDT

Can't argue with experience, so pick your poison.

40 series Flowmaster 3 inch 2 chamber, single out the back
 with some dual 3 inch tips. Even makes a single exhaust
sound good.

GS -

'98 5.2L 5spd

From: "Bernd D. Ratsch" <bernd@texas.net>
Subject: RE: DML: Re: Cast your votes: Gibson vs. Flowmaster

What everyone seems to be forgetting is that the "Flow Ratings" on the
mufflers are done on a flow bench...the same types that are used to get the
flow rating of TB's, Carburetors, etc. They use a regulated flow which is
not what runs through your muffler...it's a turbulent mess of exhaust
pulses. Straight through doesn't always mean it's better.

Flowmaster, Gibson, Borla, DynoMax, MagnaFlow, etc...they're all successful
companies who make mufflers (and a few other items). They work well...if
it's sound your after, that's going to be a personal choice which no "flow
rating" is going help you with.

I've run Dynomax, Flowmaster, MagnaFlow, and Ravin...all performed the same.
It was the sound that put me back on my 50-Series Flowmaster. Nothing else.

- - Bernd