Gibson vs. Flowmaster continued... attn Bernd!

From: Brett Forehand (brett4hand@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Apr 27 2001 - 01:13:55 EDT

Hey Bernd, (and DML)

glad to see you put the Flowmaster back on. I was impressed with the way
your V-6 sounded at the DML meet last year. (Yeah, the pre-supercharged
era).

Also got a chuckle out of the fact that nobody "bit" on your post about
flowbenches. I had some guy at Midas telling me how my Flowmaster was a
piece of crap, and I might as well have had a brick in the pipe, and he'd
"only" charge me 300 bucks to put his better flowing, better sounding Midas
muffler in. (He had the chart to prove it).

Obviously, there are tons of people running Flowmasters in both street and
race form across the country. I wouldn't really expect that racer's in
particular would be willing to run a "restrictive" muffler on their bread
winners.

You bring up very valid points, in that most of the "performance mufflers"
on the market today truly are performance mufflers. It basically comes down
to personal preferences.

I had the Gibson on my truck when I bought it, and liked the sound of it,
with the exception that I thought it was a little quiet at idle. When it
rusted out, (I suspect my Dak was a frequent "short tripper", and had plenty
of moisture in the pipe every day), I replaced it with a 40 Series 2 chamber
Delta Flow. I love the sound of it. It's a 3" in, single 3" out hooked up
to the original mandrel bent system and Mopar headers. Since then, I added a
Gibson 3.5" stainless slash tip. (Keepin' up with the Pyburn's) ;) I haven't
noticed any change in performance, but mileage has stayed the same. (16.6
hwy is about the best I can get).

Since putting on the Flowmaster, two of my buddies that own 5.4 ltr Fords
(one super crew, one extended cab) have put one on their trucks. Still not
as cool as a Dak, but they sound better than before! After my Dak was
called the "Nascar truck" a few times, I took it as a compliment.

Anyhow, that's more than my .02 worth... back into lurk mode now.

Later,
Brett Forehand
'94 Dakota CC Sport gettin' a new water pump maņana!
http://www.wacokid.freehomepage.com/