Re: Testing the map sensor

From: Shane Moseley (smoseley@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Fri Apr 27 2001 - 07:12:53 EDT

Indeed it was me. I wanted a way to watch my voltmeter (connected to MAP
signal) while driving down the road and putting the vehicle under various load
conditions. I needed a connection method that would not come loose while going
over bumps, turning, etc. I use safety wire alot and one day while walking
around in a hobby/craft store I located several spools of thin stainless wire -
purchased the smallest they had.

I pull the connector off and insert a 2-inch piece of the wire about 1/4" into
the female side of the connection (connector end). I then put the connector
back on allowing the extra wire to hang out of the connector. These I use to
clip the voltmeter leads to.

On a good day (not raining) you can use your wipers to hold your voltmeter
against the windshield for in-cab viewing.

The redneck way - gotta love it!

Latr,

Shane

Andy Levy wrote:

> You need to "backprobe" them. Someone (Shane Mosely I think?) figured
> out he could slip some very, very fine stainless steeel wire in
> alongside the wires to make contact, then clipped his multimeter to
> those.
>
> Geoff wrote:
> >
> > Hi, I'm trying to diagnose poor gas milage on my 95 dak 3.9 and I found
> > these instructions on the Mitchell Repair Info. DVD at school:
> >
> > it says where the MAP sensor is... I check the voltage from the center
> > termainal with the ignition switch on I should get 4.0-5.0 volts with the
> > engine runing it should be 1.5-2.1 volts. The test must be performed with
> > the connector in place. How can I test the voltage of the center terminal
> > if there is no way to get the dvom probes into the wire?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Geoff
>
> --
> -andy
>
> http://home.twcny.rr.com/andylevy/ --- andylevy@bigfoot.com
> modesty, n.:
> Being comfortable that others will discover your greatness

'96 IndyRam-HisIndy-MPI/TB/Pulleys/AccelCoil/MPComp/HookerSuperComps/CompTAs
'96 IndyRam-HerIndy-numbered(#142)"Track Truck"
'74 Triple-Black Dodge Challenger Rallye 360 home-brew EFI R&D vehicle
'68 Black Corvette Convertible 427 (For Sale)