Re: Engine+Cold air good (idea)

From: Andy Levy (andylevy@bigfoot.com)
Date: Sat Apr 28 2001 - 00:16:31 EDT

I based my "barely enough" comment on exactly what you wrote below. The
packaging says it's good for engines up to 250 HP. Out of the factory,
we're rated at 235, and most of us have mods adding a few ponies. I
don't know what the stock fan is rated at.

I bought my fan slightly used from a DMLer in New Jersey who found it
didn't keep his 318 2WD cool enough in his city driving. Maybe a 4x4
will cool a little better because there's more space under the truck and
in the wheelwells for the fan to push air out (someone in TX noted a few
weeks ago that his truck started running warmer when he dropped it an
inch or 2).

You'll probably be OK as long as you keep moving in that desert heat and
don't sit idling much. I noticed last summer on a few 90+ days with the
stock fan that my temp would climb to or even a little over 210 at a
traffic light, and drop as soon as I started rolling. Partly because
the engine was turning more (thus the fan was turning more - not a
factor with an electric), and partly because I was moving.

I will be watching my temperature closely for the first few weeks of
summer.

If you do any towing regularly, I think a tranny oil cooler (and engine
oil cooler) are worthwhile investments.