REAREND 7.25" DIFFERENTIAL REPAIR VS. 8.25" SWAP

From: Ginny P. Hartwig (dghartwig@juno.com)
Date: Sun Apr 29 2001 - 16:19:36 EDT

My 1991 Dakota V-6 with A500 transmission
has a rear axle assembly which is now whining
and howling loudly after 72,000.

Rather than service my existing 7.25 inch differential
(with hexagonal cover), I've been advised to replace
the rear axle with an 8.25 inch differential (with
round cover). I was told that the smaller differential
was prone to failure and the larger differential has
much greater reliability. Whether or not I keep the
7.25" unit or swap to a used 8.25" unit, the
differential will be rebuilt. (Both are 3.5:1)

I don't know if it's related, but my RWAL brake
speed sensor exciter ring now has a tooth broken
off. An inspection failed to indicate ANY interference
with the ring to cause breakage.

Has anyone had similar problems? Does the 7.25"
unit really have a history of early failures?

If I do a swap, what problems will I encounter?
Should the springs also be swapped?
Since the 8.25" unit's exciter ring has more teeth
(104 versus 102) will the RWAL computer require
modification? The 1991 - 8.25" unit is listed as
different from the 1992 through 1996 units.
What is the difference? Although I do not have
access to any specs, it appears that '92 through
'96 rearends with the 8.25" differential are about
one inch wider.

Any advice?

Thanks. Don Hartwig
                Atlanta, GA