Re: RE: catalytic converter for R/T

From: Will Coughlin (willcoughlin@hotmail.com)
Date: Sun Apr 29 2001 - 20:56:00 EDT

Jim, I see what you are trying to do. I am all about making stuff look like
it came from the factory. Kinda stealth,I guess. If it were mine, I would
get 2 factory non R/T converters(junkyard, I guess), and run the Mopar
downpipes into them, side by side.Get a heat sheild from summit or your
local muffler shop(get a real nice stainless one, I know flowmaster makes
one for their big-block mufflers), and use it to sheild the converters. run
stainless pipe, 2.5" from each of the converters into 2 ultra-flow SS
mufflers, then use 2.5" stainless pipe to make up the tailpipes, taking care
to make them bent very nicely(use the stock tailpipe for a pattern for the
pass. side pipe). Then, use the factory polished stainless R/T tips on both
the pipes, exiting in the same location on both sides(be sure to measure!).
I think that this would make for a VERY nice install, and a reliable exhaust
system. HTH,

Will Coughlin willcoughlin@hotmail.com
'00 reg.cab,2wd,4.7L/NV-3500HD5-spd/3.92sg(9.25")
http://www.geocities.com/willcoughlin/index.html

----Original Message Follows----
From: Jim Miller <jim76712@swbell.net>

I have heard that. It is probably costly too. The problem is the R/T cat
has 2
very small inlets, maybe as small as 1.75 and the down pipes that come with
the
R/T Mopar headers have a large pipe, at least 2.5 but have to reduce down a
lot
to fit into the cat. The front of cat O2 sensor is made into the cat also.
The
rear of cat sensor is about 8" past the cat. the factory cat has a 2.5
outlet
and goes through 2.5 pipe into the muffler which is a 2.5 in 2.5 out. the
tail
pipe enlarges to 3 inches just past the muffler. It seems to me that if you
reduce 2X 2.5 down to a single 2.5 through the cat and muffler that the 3
inch
tailpipe is just for looks. I want to go from the 2X 2.5 down pipes through
dual 2.5 in 3 out Y adapter and mount the front O2 sensor in the Y just in
front
of the cat. Then use a 3" in 3" out cat, 3" pipe to a 3" in dual 2.5 out
muffler and add a second left side tailpipe and a 3" should fit for the
drivers
side pipe and make the exit look like the factory side. Am I making any
sense?
Jim.