Re: Re: RE: Re: F*** :) What's the deal?

From: Tom Lorek (tlorek@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Apr 30 2001 - 14:33:57 EDT

My official answer would have to be......

"it depends"

Some applications use TTY (torque to yield) bolts. They are designed
to be torqued to a specific value and then turned some x amount of a
turn further. This extra turn actually stretches the bolts a specific
amount, imparting an additional amount of clamping force. The
downside to these is that they can only be used once.

The turbo Buick V-6's used these and there has been a great amount of
debate on the gnttype list over the years regarding the re-use of TTY
headbolts. Some people have been able to re-use them without failure,
but the overwhelming majority of people who have tried to re-use them
have had failures.

If TTY is mentioned anywhere in the FSM, then I would say do NOT
re-use them. If it is not mentioned, then I would go ahead and re-use
them only after chasing the threads like Bernd said. As an addendum
to this, I would only re-use head bolts once or twice. After that,
it's cheap insurance to go for the ARPs.

Also, when torqueing the head bolts, you should be able to feel if the
bolts are stretching abnormally. It's that sickly feeling you get
just before the bolt snaps!!!

P.S. Bernd, did you ever hear from your buddy on the RT list about
the electric fan mod we talked about?

Tom Lorek
'00 Durango 5.9 SLT+ 4x4
'99 Concorde LXi
'87 Buick GN 10.52 @ 127.5 ( back in 1992)

On Mon, 30 Apr 2001 13:06:39 -0400, bernd@texas.net wrote:

>On stock applications, it "ok" to reuse headbolts...but they need to be cleaned
>and the threads "chased" (cleaned) for proper TQ readings. On any type of
>modified (Supercharged especially) rework...use NEW bolts. Preferred is ARP
>Studs.
>
>Again, don't forget to run a thread chaser on the head bolt holes (on the
>block) before installing the new bolts.
>
>- Bernd
>
>> My understanding is that when you torque them down they stretch a bit and
>> that's normal. You can't stretch them again.
>>
>> I would ask Bernd and go with what he says.

Tom Lorek
tlorek@yahoo.com
Carmel, IN
'00 PB 5.9 SLT+ Durango