RE: Tech Question involving seals

From: powell (scmods@ufl.edu)
Date: Wed May 02 2001 - 00:33:16 EDT

The 4x4 light is activated when the front axle is enguaged. When you shift
the transfer case into 4 wheel drive, a plastic piece that screws into the
transfer case sends a vacuum through 2 hoses to the front axle. This is
kinda the equivalent of 'locking the hubs' (sorry I grew up around an
international scout). On the transfer case you will be able to see a black
plastic piece screws into it with two vacuum hoses coming out of it. These
should connect stright into the front axle assembly somewhere kinda in the
middle and on top. You can see it without removing the skid plate. My
guess would be that the 4x4 light isn't coming on because you have
forgotten to reconnect theses two vacuum hoses. That's my understanding of
the 4X4 light, I'm sure alot of subscribers understand it's workings better
than I. Best of luck.