Re: Smelly Headers

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Wed May 02 2001 - 09:20:56 EDT

At 05:55 PM 5/1/01 -0500, you wrote:
>Had the same smell with my headers for the first few weeks. It's the
>gasket, I guess. Nothing touched the headers and nothing got burned.
>Annoying smell, though. Richard in San Antonio

Probably normal. Had the same thing when I put the headers on
3 years ago.

The gaskets will burn out eventually though. When they put in the
3000 converter, they had to drop the exhaust because the Y-pipe
was in the way. The 3 gaskets were all burnt causing an exhaust gas
leak. They called it 'foaming' and replaced them with all copper gaskets
(prettiest things I've ever seen ... too bad you can't see them).

Bob Tom Burlington, Ont., Canada
'97 Dakota Sport, 4x2, CC, Flame red, 5.2L, auto., 3.92SG