Re: Re: Hesitation??

From: Will Coughlin (willcoughlin@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri May 04 2001 - 17:00:31 EDT

Well, Chris, when the engine is idling and the clutch is out, the manual
tranny is spinning the fluid around. When I started driving it while it was
cold, I uncovered some tranny problems, such as the occasional grind on the
first few 1-2 shifts, and excessive gear noise for the first 3-4 miles. The
rearend, I guess the only way to warm it up is to drive it! I still take it
easy for the first few miles, even when I let it warm up a while. I know
what I was doing with the idling was probably excessive. I just want to
figure out why it does this hesitation!

Will Coughlin willcoughlin@hotmail.com
'00 reg.cab,2wd,4.7L/NV-3500HD5-spd/3.92sg(9.25")
http://www.geocities.com/willcoughlin/index.html

----Original Message Follows----
From: "Chris Spotts" <ccs138@psu.edu>

I seem to remember those posts. I think they were referring to your idling
constantly (like instead of turning it off, you let it run). It's my
understanding that it's better to take it easy on the truck when you first
start it up (ie when driving) rather than just let it sit there to warm up.
The reasoning being that by driving it, all the other parts (like
transmission, rearend, and any other parts that may need to warm up in cold
weather) are being warmed up too, instead of just the engine. Just a
thought, Will, take it for what it's worth.

-Chris