Truck troubles...real Dakota content!

From: Mike Styer (m_styer@go.com)
Date: Sat May 05 2001 - 09:53:10 EDT

I just crossed the 199,000 mile mark, and after some hard playing two weeks ago, my V6 Dak is not running right. I had been playing (relative high speed, high revving, bouncy ride, etc) in a field on the way home from Allentown, and as soon as I got back on the road, my truck started acting like the rev limiter had moved doen to 3000 rpm. After sitting the night, it was not as bad, but it still did not want to run over 4000 rpm.

It was like that for two weeks, until last night on my way down to Allentown again, it dropped down to 3000 rpm again, and the farther I went the worse it got. I by the time I got to Scranton, I could barely keep it at 60 mph and on hills I was lucky to hit 50 mph. But after I got filled up the gas tank, suddenly everything ran better, moving back up to 4500 rpm before it acted up.

The best way I can describe how the truck was acting was like when I am riding dirt bike and the choke is on after the engine is warmed up. I thought about it for 70 miles, and I am thinking one thing really. In my offroad adventure, I was bouncing around alot and the gas tank was only a 1/5 full. I am thinking maybe I jossled all the gunk in the bottom of the gas tank and it got in the fuel pump and filter so that now...as long pump is pulling from the bottom, it is getting more gunk and flow is reduced. Then when I fill up and there is more clean gas that is easier to get, the engine gets more gas when it needs it and runs better.

Is my line of thinking way off here, or what? Oh, my fuel pump has also been whining the past couple months, what does a fuel pump do when it is going bad? Maybe that is part of my problem?

Thanks for the help :)

Mike S.
93 V6 5-speed 2wd