RE: Fried Pioneer CD Player

From: Tod Oace (tod@quay.com)
Date: Thu May 10 2001 - 02:33:29 EDT

> You know, you're right! I don't know how I even thought they were
> controlled this way.

It's an interesting idea though!

> I remember looking and reading about it late at night
> so I must've been half asleep. We'll anyway at least we know that the CTM
> controls at lo of the functions of the electronics. This does prove to me
that if I
> could get my hands on a '01 steering wheels with the radio controls then
it
> should work.

Yes, hopefully.

> I had to install a clock spring before when I installed the factory
> cruise in my '96 so I know that working around the clockspring is easy

I didn't know what this "clockspring" was that I kept seeing in other places
in the service manual until I looked it up this even. And for those who
aren't familiar with it... It's the thing that allows electrical
connections on the steering wheel to stay connected with the rest of the
vehicle while the steering wheel is turning.

> and that discharging, removing, and replacing the airbag is no big deal as
long as you
> are careful with it.

Yup, I had my passenger air bag out once. Had the whole dash torn apart so
I could run the wires for my Etrex GPS up just behind the defroster vent.
The manual says to disconnect the negative lead on the battery and wait
something like a couple of minutes for the air bag capacitor to discharge.

> Sorry about the info though.....man I feel like an idiot!

No biggy! -Tod