Opinions on Superchagers and other mods plz

From: Grady Ogburn (jgo@uswest.net)
Date: Thu May 10 2001 - 08:29:17 EDT

Shawn says...

> I asked the other day but received no response, so here goes again.
> What are some opinions on SC's in general for a 98 5.2L 4x4? I'm looking at
> either a Powerdyne or Kenne Bell, I've read varying opinions on each but
> just wanted some more input. Thus far I've put a 3" Gibson Cat Back with
> Dual 2.5" exits behind the wheels, a 180 t-stat, and a K&N FIPK. I'll be
> putting in some 3923's this weekend, and I'm going to see about ditching the
> clutch fan and going electric when I do the plugs.

You and I have just about the same base setup. I am sitting on the
same fence as you are just now, and I *think* I'm gonna eventually
fall on the Kenne Bell side. The biggest reason is that the mods I've
added thus far have haven't done much for the low end, and the idea of
full boost at 2000 RPM sounds pretty darn good. Dunno *anyone* who
has put a KB on a 5.2 yet, though, so it's kinda skeery.

Hey, mebbe we could talk 'em into a group discount for only TWO!
Wouldn't THAT be righteous...

> Basically the truck is pretty quick, it needs to be a daily driver,
> but I also want some serious gut wrenching performance out of her. What
> else is a prerequisite for the SC mechanically so I don't worry about
> killing it? How beneficial is a TB mod, ignition system, or some basic head
> work? I guess what I'm after is yall's opinions on the most bang for the
> buck. I mean, if I drop the SC in, are headers and a high flow cat in
> order, or will I not get much more by adding them. What's the consensus on
> the CPU mods out there? Hypertech, Jet II, ect.

Don't bother if you're going with the KB blower. It comes with a
replacement 'puter that is designed alongside the blower, so I'd
imagine that anything you do to the PCM would be redundant.

> I'm relatively new here and I try to search the archives for
> information so I don't bug everyone with redundant questions. I've answered
> several questions I know about for some folks, mostly electrical, stereo and
> the what not, but I sure could use some help with picking out the biggest
> bang for the buck mods and what others opinions are on SC's and the other
> performance mods. Thus far the only decision I've come to is a donation to
> help keep this list going;-) I could use some good 1,2,3's of gains for the
> buck.

I can comment on anything in the sig -- ask away. Where are you, BTW?

--
Grady Ogburn (Denver, AIM: JGradyO)
Black '98 Sport CC 4x4 5.2l, 5 Speed, 3.55 LSD