RE: Steering Wheel Radio Controls WAS: : Fried Pioneer CD

From: Crit Bennett (crit@engineer.com)
Date: Thu May 10 2001 - 17:08:34 EDT

Actually, a friend of mine as a 1.8T A4 and has a slick little chip from APR
(www.goapr.com) called EMCS (Advanced Modular Chipping System). He can change
between stock .8 bar, 1 bar, valet (1 psi boost and 2500 rev limit) and 1.2 bar
racing gas settings. He uses his cruise input and changes the settings with
the MIL indicator flashing once for map 1, twice for map 2, ..... This would
be IDEAL for that with a programmable PCM and electronic bleed on a blower....
Maybe later. Hell, that's just one button - I gotta find something to do with
the other 4. My fuel pump kill logic is stepped down to 5 volts so I'll likely
build it into a bigger box with another 5 PC mount relays, so that's not a
problem. The relays I use are socketed 5V two-pole two-throw relays so it
would work nicely. Plus now I can move the fuel pump kill button to one of the
left-side steering wheel buttons. Any interest in a SpeedTweaks writeup
Bernd? I'll write up all the diagrams if you want, though I don't know what
the radio-control rear panel for the steering wheel would cost someone.
Whoohoo, another project.

BTW, The leather-wrapped wheel w/o buttons is for sale if anyone wants it -
fits any GEN III and maybe others. I'm just keeping the buttons.

Crit

-------------------

A little analog to digital converter and a TTL chip to split the digital
value out to separate on/off outputs would do it. Oh and one of those
little 5VDC voltage regulators to power the A/D and the TTL chip. And then
you'd want the relays to have 5VDC control (coil?) inputs that the TTL
outputs could drive. Don't ask me what parts to use though...I don't know!
I'll bet someone on the list knows though. Perhaps a future SpeedTweaks
product? :)

An even cooler product would be something that can interface with the PCI(?)
bus. That's the thing that the CTM uses to talk to the radio, lights, etc.
Seems like one could do a lot of interesting things in addition to getting
those steering wheel button push messages. Like, uh..... Ummmm....
Well, I'm sure there are lots of possibilities. Such as.....uhhhmmm...
You know? -Tod

Sent through Cyberbuzz- A Server for the Students
http://cyberbuzz.gatech.edu/