Re: O2 sensor question

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Thu May 10 2001 - 17:12:07 EDT

"Chuck Robbins" <intense99dak@home.com> wrote:
> I finally have time to hook up my Autometer air/fuel gauge, but am
> unsure which wire I need to tie into. My sensor has 4 wires: 2 white, a
> black and a gray. My FSM only shows a dark/green & pink wire as the
> positive.

> Which wire do I need to tie into for the purple wire (sensor wire) off
> the gauge? Also, I want the upstream sensor correct?

Chuck,

  Yes, you want the upstream sensor. I believe you want the grey wire.
(the white ones are for the heating element, I definitely know you don't
want either of those) the black would be the ground. (I think... I
don't recall if the black was ground or if the grey was ground.) If
your FSM says its a dark green wire with a pink stripe, pull some of the
protective covering back at the O2 sensor plug, find that wire, then see
wether it corresponds to the black or the grey wire. An alternative is
to tie into the signal wire in the engine bay. Just find the proper wire
(would seem to be the dark green/pink one) going into the PCM and use a
crimp tap or something right there. No need to go all the way back to
the sensor. (That's how I did it.)

                                              -Jon-

  .--- Jon Steiger ---------- jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com ---.
  | Affiliations: AOPA, DoD, EAA, NMA, NRA, SPA, USUA; Rec & UL Pilot - SEL |
  | '92 Ram 150 4x4 V8, '96 Dakota V8, '96 Intruder 1400, '96 FireFly 447 |