Re: Fan removal?

From: Chuck Robbins (intense99dak@home.com)
Date: Sat May 12 2001 - 02:50:22 EDT

    If your '00 4.7 is the same as my '99 v6, then you'll have to hold the
pulley with something while loosening up the bolt. They make a chain wrench
large enough to fit around the pulley (where the belt goes) but I couldn't
find one.
    So I took the advice of a DML'er and used my serpentine belt. I took the
belt off and wrapped it around the pulley one layer thick. Where the belt
met, I used a set of vice grips and clamped the ends together making sure
the belt was good and tight.
    Now you can use your large wrench to loosen the nut. You might want to
use a pipe or something for added leverage as that nut is on tight and
you'll be using one hand to hold the pulley from turning. Also, on my '99,
the threads are the usual. meaning to loosen the nut turn counter clockwise
when looking from the front bumper.

Hope this helps,

Chuck Robbins
'99 Dakota Sport