Re: Advice on Tonneau Covers

From: Jeff Durling (jdurling@mindspring.com)
Date: Sun May 13 2001 - 23:32:39 EDT

Warning this is a long post but I wanted to make sure the person who asked
the question got the full info since I have already been all through this.

I owned one on my '96, It's an ok cover but I really didn't feel that it held
up well for the price. It never fell apart but the rubber gaskets kept
getting torn (poor design) and the cover itself is not of the highest grade
vinyl. Mine was sun bleached in less than a year and I did everything they
said to keep the top in good shape. The plastic cover over the canister was
really sun bleached and bowed in the middle. The paint used on the bed rails
was not the best job so they started to fade and finally you could see the
bare metal under the paint. I fixed mine with bumper and trim paint. I bought
a different roll-top cover for my QC and I really like it. It's a Roll-N-Lock
and it is a much better designed and made cover. It is made locally here in
town (Ft. Lauderdale) and I did purchase mine through a list member and
picked it up myself through will call. They are wrong about one thing when
they say you do not have to drill. There is a piece that goes on the lip of
the tailgate that the cover locks into (something else that the pace edwards
isn't really good at. more in a sec) and you have to drill three or five
holes (your choice) to install it and the cover locks into that. The bedrail
are heavier, the cover on the canister is a wrinkle painted metal cover, the
vinyl top is a much heavier made piece and mine has not even showed signs of
loosing it's luster and I installed it in the beginning of December. On the
pace edwards lock, it just locks into the bed rails and offers only two
places to lock into. Since it doesn't lock into the tailgate and they used a
lighter gauge metal on the back piece it tends to flap up and down a little
bit and is noisy if you have a rear slider and open it. The roll-n-lock
doesn't have this problem. I don't work for roll-n-lock or get paid by them
in any way it just i've been down that road and feel that this is a much
better product for the money. BTW, since the pace edwards doesn't lock into
the tailgate you have to find a separate lock for that to keep people out
while the roll-n-lock does lock into it so when you lock the cover the
tailgate is locked also. The metal piece they use on the cover is pretty
heavy and should keep most thieves out. I am currently going to purchase a
pop-n-lock power tailgate lock and wire it into my existing door locks for a
little extra security. If you need to see pics let me know and I can take a
couple and post them. BTW, Patrick Engram on the list had the best prices I
ever found for the cover and is a real good guy to work with. He runs a
firestone tire center in Maryland so he's legit. Sorry for such a long reply
but hope it helps.

Jeff Durling
'01 4x2 QC SLT+