Re: Powerdyne/ANY PCM

From: bernd@texas.net
Date: Mon May 14 2001 - 16:32:49 EDT

Before we compare oranges to apples, let's look at the original email again:

> > Well, I've ordered a PowerDyne and now I have to figure out what to do
> about
> > a PCM. I wanted a Mopar PCM, but I've been told they are no longer
> > available for the 98 5.2L 4x4's, bummer. Anyone have suggestions on a
> > custom flash? Who does them, how much, and what can I get modified (Shift
> > points, redline, top end cap, and tweaking the fuel management)? Looks
> like
> > I'll be getting an MSD ignition kit with timing retard as well, hopefully
> > that will help some. I also have a 50mm Flow Metric Throttle body on the
> > way to put on at the same time.
> >
> > What should I do about the PCM???
> >
> > Any ideas?
> > Shawn
> > 98 5.2L 4x4 CC
> > 180 T-Stat, 3923's, Gibson Dual's

Basically a stock (mildly modified engine). No aftermarket cam, ported heads,
M1, 1.7:1 Rollers, etc. Just a 50mm TB, CatBack, and now the Powerdyne. For
the configuration that Shawn is working with, the Powerdyne kit (with any of
the ignition system options) will work just fine.

We're also running two R/T's ('98 and '99) with more mods than that...one with
a Powerdyne @ 9# and the other with the ATI @ 8# w/Intercooler. Both have F&B
TB's, headers, catback exhaust, and other minor modifications. Both run within
the 12.0:1 range at WOT. One with the factory injectors and the other with the
24# (as recommended with anything higher than 6#). The Powerdyne truck runs a
stock PCM w/IAT Adjuster and the ATI truck runs with the Mike Leach PCM. I've
driven both (the ATI R/T just this last weekend) and they both run just about
equal (but very fast). :)

Wayne, the person who pieced together the ATI R/T and I both used to install
Paxton and Vortech kits for a living. This isn't anything new to us and the
minor "tweaks" that we've done allow both to run safely and respectively well
on a daily basis.

- Bernd