Re: Slow day so how about a DML survey

From: dakotaviper (dakotaviper@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue May 15 2001 - 18:43:08 EDT

Well, I'm job hunting right now. My company is laying
off 50 workers out of 345 on friday. Now I've got
senority over only 23 people. We lost the Detroit
Diesel Series 60 engine block. DaimlerChrysler is
moving that contract to Mercedes's South African
facility. We are also losing the Mopar Performance
426/440 Hemi NHRA engine block. That block is going
to a foundry in Mexico. Things don't look good. We
cast 5 engine blocks for Cummins Engine and those
orders have declined dramtically. We also cast Mack
Engine blocks and Renault wants to move all Mack Truck
production to Europe. The blocks to Spain and the
trucks to France. So, things look very bleak in the
foundry business. At least in the United
States/Canadian areas.