A tale of two tools - A hammer and a chisel

From: Stephen Cecil (scecil@npc.net)
Date: Wed May 16 2001 - 09:24:09 EDT

Thanks for all the suggestions yesterday on removing my stock exhaust.

I ended up using a metal chisel and a large hammer and proceeded to knock out 5
or so "tabs" that I bent back with a set of pliers past the point of the crimp.
After some wrestling with the muffler, it came loose. It only took me 15
minutes to install the Gibson Dual Sport after that. I LOVE it! Not as loud as
I expected, but still a nice rumble at idle, and when you mash the go-pedal,
sweet piston music.

I would suggest that anyone else attempting this should go out and purchase or
borrow a Makita/Dremel and use it to cut the tabs (unless you have Popeye
forearms and/or an hour or so). Perhaps the 800lb gorilla that installs the
factory spark plugs was rotated onto exhaust duty the day my Dakota came down
the line. ;)

Steve
00 CC Sport+ 4.7L Auto 3.55 LSD