RE: Re: Drum Brakes

From: DAKSY (rsmith13@NYCAP.rr.com)
Date: Sat May 19 2001 - 00:54:15 EDT

William,

Grab yuorself any Chilton's or Haynes manual & refer to the "drum brakes
section" In my limited "DYI-motor-head" repairs, this one is the first I
ever tackled (on a 61 Corvair ...1st car - $80!), & I've found that almost
every vehicle has a similar set-up. To change out the rear shoes the first
thing you'll need is a pair of good sturdy jackstands or a good-sized
hydraulic lift. With either, you'll be able to get the rear end off the
ground & remove both rear wheels & drums. Then just go to work on one side,
keeping the other side "virgin" for a "how-to" reference for re-assembly.
You'll also need a big flathead screwdriver or something like that to get
the retainer springs off. There is a "universal type" brake spring removal
tool which allows you to twist it to get under the spring at the pivot point
for easy removal & any auto parts store sells them pretty cheap, but the
flat head screwdriver will work just fine. While you're in there, you might
as well check each slave brake cylinder for leaks, & rebuild them if
necessary. Again, I urge you to do ONE SIDE AT A TIME! You'll be glad you
did. Having a reference for reassembly just on the other side of the vehicle
is soooooo much better than a pic in a manual...HTH

Bob Smith (Daksy2K on AIM)
2K DAKSY CC Sport +
3.9l; V6: 4X4

For the mods,details, etc., visit us at:

http://home.nycap.rr.com/daksy/

(ps, we're still working on it...
Susan on the page; me on the DAKSY! )