Re: engine vacuum

From: Shane Moseley (smoseley@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Tue May 22 2001 - 07:01:50 EDT

Doug - that don't necessarily mean its bad. Your vacuum gauge is reading direct
pressure/vacuum. With the hose hanging out in free air - the needle is reading
0 regardless of what the outside/ambient pressure is. Map stands for manifold
absolute pressure and your scan tool is probably reading the difference between
the inside/manifold pressure and outside/ambient pressure - hence the name. It
gets a reading of the ambient or outside pressure whenever the key is turned to
the on position (same time it runs the fuel pump for a few secs). It is this
base pressure that is being compared to after cranking and while driving.
Basically the theory is that if you know the temperature and pressure on each
side of an orifice of known size, then you can compute the air/gas flow through
that orifice. This is also part of the reason why honing TB's produce such an
effect on our engines. Changing the orifice size in effect changes one of the
systems base formula's for calculating fuel requirements.

The best way I've found to test the MAP is with it off the truck - While
supplying 12V and GND (I use a pc's power supply) read the MAP's signal output
voltage w/a voltmeter. Using a handheld vacuum pump slowly increase vacuum and
watch the voltage output. It should be very linear and read the full scale (1
Bar). This pdf outlines the procedure:
http://www.championauto.com/championauto/pdf/49.pdf

Latr,

Shane

--
'96 IndyRam-HisIndy-MPI/TB/Pulleys/AccelCoil/MPComp/HookerSuperComps/CompTAs
'96 IndyRam-HerIndy-numbered(#142)"Track Truck"