Driveshaft Question

From: Ray Sulich (ray.sulich@snet.net)
Date: Tue May 22 2001 - 06:40:42 EDT

I had my front axleshaft bearings and seals changed. No more leaks. One
nagging problem exists. At about 55mph the truck starts to vibrate and it
increases when I let off the gas. This continues until about 65mph when it
smooths out. The shop I had it at thinks the vibration is coming from
under the cab and seems to be at about the same speed as the driveshaft (as
compared to the ~ x4 rate of the wheels). This vibration happens in both
2wd and 4wd. The mechanic thinks it is either the front driveshaft
universal or the drive shaft.

Anyone have any experience with this sort of thing? If so, how do I
isolate the problem. The mech. suggested putting the truck on jackstands
and running it at 55 mph. I suppose I could do that but I'd had to launch
the truck thru the front of my garage.