RE: brake warpage

From: J. Courtenay Brandon (jcbrandon@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed May 23 2001 - 01:16:31 EDT

When I replaced my badly warped rotors (at about
25,000 miles) I noticed that many of the cooling vents
were completely clogged with mud. The unequal cooling
that this results in could have contributed to the
warping.

Curious if anyone else noticed this on their warped
rotors.

I've replaced the factory rotors with Power Slots due
to the strong recommendations from this list. Got
about 15,000 miles on them now with no problems.

The Power Slots look identical to the factory rotors
with the exception of the milled slots. I believe they
are machined from the same castings but have no solid
information on this. Does anyone else? I would have
much more faith in them if I knew that they were in
fact beefier castings and so able to absorb more heat.
As it is, I just expect that they too will warp and
need to be replaced.

It would be interesting to determine who has the
longest-lived replacement rotors and at what mileage
the factory rotors needed to be replaced. I was pissed
when the dealer showed me in the warranty where it
says that brakes are not covered.

-J.