Re: Re: Instrument cluster

From: DAKSY (rsmith13@NYCAP.rr.com)
Date: Wed May 23 2001 - 05:50:26 EDT

<VENT>Well, still no luck on the instrument guages...

Chris, I had a similar problem a number of years ago in the gf's Accord.
Fuses kept frying & every time one did I not only lot the instrument panel,
but the brake/tail lights as well. I ended up using an automotive circuit
breaker which fit into the fuse slot (barely), but it was too big for me to
close the fuse panel cover completely. It would heat up from the short
(which I couldn't locate) & the panel & rear lights would go out til it
cooled down, then everything would come back on...Anyway, one day I'm
sitting in the car waitng for the gf to get out of work & I notice the
little retainer ring around the cigarette lighter is loose. So I start
putzing around trying to tighten it. I popped off the little cover plate for
the heater/Air conditioner to gain a better grip on the retainer & I notice
evidence of a small "burn" in the electrical circuitry on back of the panel.
I covered that spot with a small piece of electrical tape & the short
disappeared. Not sure what exactly was making the electrical connection at
that spot, but the problem was solved & I was able to go back to fuses. I'd
recommend to look closely at the back of your instrument panel & see if
there is any evidence of shorting...HTH

Bob Smith (Daksy2K on AIM)
2K DAKSY CC Sport +
3.9l; V6: 4X4

For the mods,details, etc., visit us at:

http://home.nycap.rr.com/daksy/

(ps, we're still working on it...
Susan on the page; me on the DAKSY! )