Re: brake warpage suggestion to all..

From: Davidson, Kevin (ked@iti-oh.com)
Date: Wed May 23 2001 - 10:00:03 EDT

I agree that it is important to use a proper torque wrench when
reinstalling your wheels - no one but me has ever tightened my
lugs except a handful of times that the dealer did it, and when
the dealer tightened them, I drove it straight home and removed
the overtightened lugs and torqued them appropriately.

However...

I've found that this has nothing to do with the pisspoor brakes
on the dakota. Despite my efforts with the lug torque, my rotors
still warped at perfect 20k intervals, even after the dealer put
new rotors and pads on. I finally bit the bullet and shelled out
some bucks for NAPA's highest priced, lifetime guarantee rotors,
and metallic pads. I got home and found both calipers were not
sliding properly; the outboard pads were hardly worn and the
inboards were almost down to the rivets. Then I noticed that the
piston in the right caliper was cracked and had a piece of metal
missing from it. So, I had to take it BACK to the dealer to let
them put a new caliper on. Finally, after pulling the stock crap
off and putting replacement rotors and pads on, I've been warp-free
ever since. That was about 30k ago. So far so good.

Moral of the story - yes, properly torque your wheels, but don't
expect that to entirely prevent your dak's rotors from warping.