Re: Ping Ping Ping in a 1999 5.2l

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Wed May 23 2001 - 23:26:37 EDT

At 10:46 AM 5/23/01 -0500, you wrote:
>I wonder what would happen if you put a older computer in your truck?
>I mean its really the same basic parts right? Has anyone tried this?
>I don't need to do this or anything, I have a 92.-

There have changes made to the computers from one year to the next
both hardware and software. Some of these changes may be minor
and some may be major in nature.

Generally, I have personally found that the older computer will have
a more aggressive fuel and timing scheme than a newer one ...
probably because the emission standards become more stringent
in each succeeding year. If my findings are true, that would not
help a pinging situation.

At any rate, because very little information about D-C's PCMs is
available to the public, it would be a gamble to try an older one.

The '96 MP PCM is OBDII and gives me the performance gain
but, because the '97 Dak went to a completely different wiring
scheme for the dash and the '97 Dak had gone to some LED
readouts, the dash gauges will not function with the '96 computer.

There were changes in the '98 PCM from the '97 PCM as well.
The '98s require that the VIN (something else as well, I think)
had to be flashed in for it to work properly. Also, the '98s
went to a programmed speedo adjustment from the speedo
pinion gear. Also, one year ('98 or '99 or '00?), the microprocessor
went from an 8-bit chip to a 16-bit chip.

Bob