Re: Aftermarket Power Locks

From: LaMont J. Gilles (lgilles@nospam.satx.rr.com)
Date: Thu May 24 2001 - 07:23:56 EDT

I have modified my 93 Dak with power windows and power locks.

With the windows I would suggest getting a circuit that is governed by the
ignition switch (that way the windows will not roll down unless the key is
turned).

With the door locks I had them installed when the alarm was installed.
Check with the alarm installer to see if you get a master control switch to
manually open or close the door locks. The installer I used did not and I
had to get one (I believe it was a double pull, double throw, center
neutral). Also you may wish to have the door locks governed by a permanent
power source (I wanted the ability to open the doors and get out even if the
key was not in the ignition).

I had the switches for the windows mounted on the doors because they're
useless unless the ignition is keyed. I had the switch for the doors hidden
below and to the right of the steering column (if you don't know it is there
you can't see it from anywhere outside of the cab.

My two cents worth...

--

LaMont J. Gilles

""wes weems"" <wweems@fix.net> wrote in message news:00ad01c0e35f$355a9120$7b49973f@weena... > Ok, > > I was kinda silly and didnt get the power features on my truck.. .as I > couldnt afford em, and couldnt really justify them... well 1 year later and > approx 4k invested... I am about to put an alarm system in... and would like > the unlock from the little remote thing. > > What I was wondering... is could I just go and buy the parts from dc and > kinda MAKE my truck have power locks? Or is there something the pcm needs to > know about? (or wires that dont exist in my doors?) Any information would be > greatly appreciated! > > Wes >