Re: changing thermostat, bolt snaps inside hole!!!

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Sun May 27 2001 - 01:27:52 EDT

"Michael Stepka" <genesisd@mediaone.net> wrote:
: I was changing my thermostat today and the bolt snapped inside the hole. I
: don't know what to do. I can't use the truck till I fix it. Any
: suggestions, do you think if I drill the bolt out I can retap it?

: thanks.

  Mike,

  First of all, don't rush it and be *very* careful! Some people have
already posted some good suggestions, the best of which I think is to
get a left hand drill bit and drill a hole with a reversable drill.
It may back out as you're drilling. If any of the bolt is accessible,
try to use a pair of vice grips to back it out, or weld a nut to it
and wrench it out.

  You can try to use an "easy out" or a stud extractor, BUT be very,
*very* careful! What can very easily happen is for the easy out
itself to snap off, and what you will essentially have then is a
hardened steel stud to try to get out, instead of a nice soft one.
(I learned that one the hard way, and believe me, its not any fun
at all! That extractor will just laugh off a standard bit, and even
a cobalt bit will take hours and hours to chew into it.) :-( I'd
probably use the easy out as a last resort, just because of that
possiblity. If you do decide to try an easy out, use the largest one
you possibly can, and easy does it; don't force it, and be careful not
to put any side load on it. Soak the stud real well first with penetrant,
and if possible, some heat may help to loosen it up.

 Good luck! :-)

--

-Jon-

.---- Jon Steiger ------- jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com -----. | Affiliations: AOPA, DoD, EAA, NMA, NRA, SPA, USUA; Rec & UL Pilot - SEL | | '92 Ram 150 4x4 V8, '96 Dakota V8, '96 Intruder 1400, '96 FireFly 447 | `------------------------------------------ http://www.jonsteiger.com ----'