RE: RE: changing thermostat, bolt snaps inside hole!!!

From: Bernd D. Ratsch (bernd@texas.net)
Date: Sun May 27 2001 - 01:30:38 EDT

If you can still see the bolt and have enough to get a bite on it with
some vise-grips, here's an alternative way that works almost every time.

(1) Get a can of compressed air from your local computer store (or Radio
Shack)
(2) Warm up the bolt (lighter, torch, etc.)
(3) Flip the can of air upside down to release the propellant (super
cools the bolt and shrinks it)
(4) Get a good grip on the bolt and try to loosen it up (wiggling as
well if you can)

This has worked for us on several broken bolts (head bolts, manifold
bolts, etc.) in the past. It's not a 100% fix, but an alternative.
Don't forget to chase the threads afterwards to make sure they're clean
for the new bolt.

- Bernd