Help! Changed thermostat, Malfunction Indicator Light On

From: Adam H (golfcartguy@hotmail.com)
Date: Sun May 27 2001 - 12:01:40 EDT

Hey guys,

I changed the stock 195 degree thermostat in my 2000 Dakota QC 4.7 on Friday
to a Robert Shaw 180 degree thermostat (# 330-180). The temp gauge was down
a good 15 degrees at least from normal and the engine seems to run a little
bit better. Running to get a Sunday paper from the store this morning the
engine malfunction light went on and when i looked at the temp guage it was
only registering what I would guess to be about 150-170 degrees.

Does anyone know how to (or if I can) find out what triggered the MIL,
and/or if changing the thermostat could have triggered it??

Thanks much,

Adam H