Running Badly

From: Ray Sulich (ray.sulich@snet.net)
Date: Tue May 29 2001 - 22:53:46 EDT

91 318 4WD running badly all of a sudden.

Drove 300 miles this weekend with no problems. On the return trip, noticed
that I smelled gas when I started the truck. Drove the 150 miles back home
with no noticeable problems. Truck started this morning with no problem
but hesitated under moderate acceleration. Smells like the truck is
running rich. In park, if I SLOWLY press the gas pedal the truck misses
badly up to about 2500 RPM. If I quickly press the gas pedal to the floor
it revs nicely, but when I release the pedal the RPM's decrease but jump
back up about 500 RPM to 1500 RPM at about 1000 RPM before returning to
idle. At idle it seems to run well. No exhaust smoke, but strong gas
smell. No obvious fuel leaks.

Any ideas? I'm thinking either the throttle position sensor or the mass
air sensor has crapped out. I replaced the O2 sensor, PCV, plugs, wires,
distributor cap and rotor about 3k miles ago.