RE: difference between Autolite 3923 & 5224?

From: Tod Oace (tod@quay.com)
Date: Wed May 30 2001 - 21:53:28 EDT

> Its the 3923 that works good in the 4.7L too isn't it?

That's a good question. I've been going through the archives looking for
the answer, and I've seen the following:

Some folks say they don't like the 3923's in the 4.7L. It's the wrong
design for the head. They don't work well.

At least one person (Patrick?) says they're fine, but you have to experiment
and find the right gap.

Then there are folks who love the Bosch 4417 +4 platinums in their 4.7L's,
and have been using them without any trouble.

But then other folks say that the platinum in the 4417's will eventually
destroy the coils (4.7L uses separate mini-coils for each plug) -- Platinum
is more resistant and is too much work for them. However I haven't actually
read of this happening to anyone on this list.

Oh, and then I believe I read of someone who's happily using Iridium NKG's.

I really want to put better plugs in my 4.7L. My wife and I are going on a
huge cross country and back trip in our Dak here in a few days (~6,400
miles). I'd love to put better plugs in before the trip if it would improve
the gas mileage a little. But I only have ~3k miles on my truck as it is,
so it may not be worth messing with, especially right before the trip. I am
still swaying on that fence though. :)

--
Tod Oace, tod@quay.com