Re: Sick Dak

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Fri Jun 01 2001 - 16:39:23 EDT

Hi, John

At 10:59 AM 6/1/01 -0500, you wrote:
> > I've been sitting here, reading posts and sites, and have come to the
> > conclusion that something's sick in the engine of my Dak. I see places
> > like KRC saying that the intake and exhaust work I've done should be
> > getting me something in the neighborhood of 250 rw HP, but my dyno shows
> > only 189.5. I'm getting no ping or anything else that stands out and tells
> > me that something is wrong, but I don't think I'm getting the power for
> > the mods I've done.
> > Homebrew K&N cone intake
> > Mopar PCM
> > F&B Stage 1 TB
> > Autolite 3923 plugs
> > Accel 8mm wires
> > MSD 6A
> > MSD Blaster SS coil
> > Mopar headers
> > Gibson 3" single cat back
> > 180 stat

Personally, I think your numbers are in the ball park. Back in '99,
a mechanic at Huffines Dodge dynoed his stock '99 RT and got
189 hp and 247 lb-ft at the rear wheels. I've got the R/T cam and MPI
and I get a 231 rwhp. Consider the extra weight and powertrain
loss from your 4x4.

Most places, if not all, will advertise numbers (power and torque) that are way
too high. Plus what they don't advertise is that adding each mod's gain
will NOT
give the actual total gain.

> > On my dyno sheet, it shows I'm going WAY rich at WOT. I'm going down into
> > the 10:1 range near the rev limiter.

I know that I'm also very rich at WOT (pulsewidth and O2 readouts from the
scanner)
but, unfortunately, the dynos up here don't have the afr setup.

> > The last time I was at Bernd's house, his scanner showed my IAT reading
> > very high. I haven't moved it yet because I've been worried about mileage.
> > But, wouldn't a high IAT make the engine run lean?

A high voltage IAT sensor signal means that the sensor is detecting cool
ambient
air and hence more fuel will be added to the mixture.

HTH, Bob